Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Why do I attend so many classes?

Some of the profs at IIT Kharagpur have a peculiar habit of taking attendance everyday. They don't mind that it takes up quite a considerable portion of the time alloted to them for the lecture. At the same time there are others who come to class and teach with same energy and liveliness, irrespective of the number of students sitting in front of them. Thus ultimately it comes down to the students to decide whether to attend the classes or not.

I am still to figure out why I feel a lot satisfied with myself when I attend all the classes in the day. Since coming to IIT, I have bunked not more than 4-5% of the classes. That should be considered quite a remarkable achievement if you look at the dismal attendance record of many students here. On many occasions, I have even made it to the class after night-outs.(Whether I kept awake in the class or not is a different issue however.)

The main inspiration behind this is the fact that most of the profs do teach something in the class. And one thing is for sure that for most of the engineering subjects its not easy to grasp everything just by reading the books. By attending the classes, even if you don't understand everything there, a mere recapitulation later on makes things clear. In a way I feel, it takes lesser time to cover the subjects by attending the classes than reading by yourself. (The ones who taught us KKM and CGSM are the prominent exceptions, whose classes I missed gracefully).

Another reason might be that I really don't find myself very comfortable sitting inside my rooms for hours. Attending the classes does give me some fresh air and if they are in Vikramshila, then some cool air. And seriously apart from attending classes, I don't spend my full day in mugging. Going through the topics a week or two before the exams serves the purpose very well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home